Breastfeeding in public places

Print pageEmail page

March 2015


 Download PDF of this information page


The Equality Act came into force in October 2010.  This information sheet gives a brief guide to the new law and what to do if you are treated unfavourably because you are breastfeeding.


For more information on your rights to continue to breastfeed on return to work, see the information sheet Breastfeeding on return to work.


Breastfeeding in Public Places

What does the law say?

The new Equality Act says that it is sex discrimination to treat a woman unfavourably because she is breastfeeding.  It applies to anyone providing services, benefits, facilities and premises to the public, public bodies, further and higher education bodies and association.  Service providers include most organisations that deal directly with the public.  Service providers must not discriminate, harass or victimise a woman because she is breastfeeding.  Discrimination includes refusing to provide a service, providing a lower standard of service or providing a service on different terms.  Therefore, a cafe owner cannot ask you to stop breastfeeding or refuse to serve you.

How long does protection apply for?
There is no age restriction, the law protects you for as long as you wish to breastfeed your baby.

Where can a woman breastfeed?
You are protected in public places such as parks, sports and leisure facilities, public buildings and when using public transport such as buses, trains and planes.  You are protected in shops, public, restaurants and hotels regardless of how big of small.  You are also protected in places like hospitals, theatres, cinemas and petrol stations.

Am I protected if I am asked to stop breastfeeding at work?.
If your employer provides services to the public, your employer is also responsible for the actions of its employees.

The law does not currently provide a right to time off at work to breastfeed but you have health and safety rights at work as an employee and the right to ask for flexible work. For more information, see Continuing to breastfeed on return to work. Employers are not obliged to provide facilities for expressing and storing milk but they may wish to as a matter of good practice and they must take steps to protect the health and safety of an employee who is breastfeeding on return to work.

What protection is there for students?

Further and higher education bodies must not discriminate, harass or victimise a student who is breastfeeding in terms of admission or provision of education or by excluding the student or subjecting her to any detriment.  This includes access to benefits, facilities or services.

Which associations are included?
An association must not discriminate, harass or victimise a person because she is breastfeeding by refusing membership or discriminating in provision of benefits, facilities or services.

An association includes clubs, such as golf clubs, that have rules of membership, with at least 25 members, where members have to apply to join. Private clubs, with less than 25 members, that have no formal rules of membership, such as a book club, would not be counted as an association. Clubs where you simply pay a membership fee to join are not counted as an association but would be considered to be providing public services.

Are there some places where I cannot breastfeed in public?
Yes, it is not against the law to prevent a woman breastfeeding in a service which is a single sex service for men. This single sex service must be justified, for example, where only one sex needs it or one sex needs the service more than the other. Voluntary groups or charities set up specifically to benefit one sex may be acting lawfully if they exclude women. Religious organisations may offer services to one sex if it is in line with the doctrines of that religion.  In some cases, where single sex services are justified, it would be reasonable to object to members of the opposite sex being there.

It is not against the law to prevent a woman breastfeeding where there are legitimate health and safety risks, for example, near to certain chemicals or radiation.

What can I do if I am discriminated against because I am breastfeeding?
Firstly, you should make a complaint to the organisation that has discriminated against you. Most service providers, educational bodies and other groups should have a complaints procedure, if not, you should ask who to complain to.

If you cannot resolve the matter you can bring an action in a county court in England or Wales or a sheriffs court in Scotland but you should seek advice as these can be expensive cases to bring.  You must start the case within 6 months of the date of the act you are complaining about.  This time limit will only be extended where it is just and equitable.  If you win your case the court can order compensation, an injunction or a declaration but if you lose you may be ordered to pay the other side’s legal costs.  Compensation can include an amount for injury to feelings.

If you have been refused a service or treated unfavourably you should seek advice.

Additional protection in Scotland
In Scotland a person has a right to breastfeed or bottle feed a child under two and it is a criminal offence to try to stop or to prevent a woman from feeding a child under two in any place in which the public has access and in which a child under two is entitled to be. Anyone who tries to stop or prevent a person feeding milk to a child under the age of two can be prosecuted and can face a claim under the Equality Act.

Employers are responsible for ensuring that their staff are fully aware of the law. If an employee tries to stop or prevent a woman from breastfeeding in the course of their employment, the employer may also be liable even if they were unaware of the incident. You should complain to the employer in the first instance and, if necessary, you can report the matter to the police.


This information sheet was produced in March 2015.  It is important to get up-to-date advice.




Where to go for more help

Maternity Action
Advice on maternity rights and benefits for UK citizens and foreign nationals
Helpline 0845 600 8533

For advice on employment rights or for Early Conciliation if you are thinking of making a tribunal claim
Helpline: 0300 123 1100 (offers telephone interpreting service)

Citizens’ Advice
For information about your rights and to find details of local advice bureau
Factsheets available in English, Welsh, Bengali, Gujarati, Punjabi, Urdu and Chinese

The CAB is currently developing a national advice phone service. If you live or work in Wales call 08444 77 20 20. For England, call 08444 111 444 or check your local bureau’s contact details as it is not available in all areas yet

Civil Legal Advice
If you are eligible for legal aid you can get free legal advice on 0845 345 4 345 (offers translation service). To check your eligibility see

To search for specialist legal advisers or solicitors in your area see

Equalities and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)
For information and advice about discrimination law

The EHRC helpline for advice and information (9am – 8pm Mon – Fri, 10am – 2pm Sat)
Phone: 0808 800 0082
Textphone: 0808 800 0084


The government’s online information service

Working Families
For information and advice on benefits and rights at work, see
Phone: 0300 012 0312


More Maternity Action information sheets

Pregnant at work 2015 – a brief guide to your rights to maternity leave and pay

Rights at work for fathers and partners – a brief guide to rights for fathers and partners

Shared parental leave and paynew rights to share leave and take leave more flexibly

Time off for working parents – rights to paternity leave, parental leave and time off in an emergency

Child friendly working hours – rights to ask for changes in your working hours to fit with your childcare or other caring responsibilities

Money for parents and babies – benefits and tax credits for working and non-working families

Maternity pay questionshow to qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay, Maternity Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance.

Rights for parents with more than one job – rights for parents working more than one job

Redundancy during pregnancy and maternity leave – your rights if you are made redundant

Keeping in touch during leave – a guide to working KIT days during maternity and adoption leave and SPLIT days during shared parental leave

Dealing with problems at worka guide for new parents and parents-to-be on how to deal with problems at work

Pregnancy discrimination – what is pregnancy discrimination and what you can do about it

Discrimination during maternity leave – what you can do about discrimination during maternity leave

Pregnant during maternity leave – your rights if you become pregnant again whilst still on maternity leave

Resigning during pregnancy and maternity leave what to do if you wish to resign

Breastfeeding on return to work – your rights if you wish to continue breastfeeding on return to work

Sickness during pregnancy and maternity leaverights and benefits during sick leave

Health and safety during pregnancy and on return to work – health and safety protection for new and expectant mothers

Breastfeeding in public places – your right to breastfeed when you are out and about

Agency workers – maternity and parental rights and benefits

Apprentices – maternity and parental rights and benefits

Adoption leave and pay – rights for parents

Time off and pay for parents in surrogacy arrangements

Polish language information – rights at work for mothers, fathers and partners.

Spanish language information – your rights at work

Maternity rights for migrants– information for EU nationals and other migrants

Maternity rights for refugees, asylum seekers, refused asylum seekers and women with no recourse to public funds -information sheets for migrants subject to immigration control


Available at